History

“For the first twenty years in the history of the association, football ruled the roost exclusively in the Parish”. (Hanley, 1987).  In the 1887 County Championship first round, Ballyduff were awarded the game after Ballyduff Upper failed to field a team; in the second round Ballyduff beat Kilmacthomas in Kilmacthomas and defeated Butlerstown in the semi-final at Oldcourt. Ballyduff defeated Kilrossanty in the County Final at Ballinasheeshagh on 24th April.   After an appeal by Kilrossanty the game was replayed in Dungarvan on Sunday, May 29th, 1887. Final score was Ballyduff  0-2 and Kilrossanty  0-01.

Sunday, July 24th, 1887

“To Dundalk Young Irelands (Louth) and Ballyduff Lower (Waterford) belongs the honour of being the first teams to contest the Inter County Championships. The game was played in Dublin’s Elm Park and Ballyduff was defeated.

Score:  Young Irelands  1-08     Ballyduff   0-03

Ballyduff  team - (colours orange and green)  Thomas Nolan (Capt.) Patrick Carroll, Richard Phelan, John Murphy, Michael Power, Patrick Power, John Power, James Griffin, James Nolan, Thomas Hearn, James Norris, Patrick Quinlan, Ml. Kearney, Robert Phelan, John Kavanagh, Patrick Foley,  Thomas Hearn, John Morrissey, Patrick Baldwin, Patrick Burke, Michael Power.

This ended Ballyduff’s involvement in the 1887 All Ireland series.

 Hurling made its appearance in the parish in 1903. One of the first matches played was a tournament game at Kill in 1904, when Ballyduff took on Clonea and were beaten 1-05 to 1-02. By 1905 Ballyduff was represented on Waterford teams by Matt Nolan, Charlie Murphy, Ned Dalton and Tommy Cuddihy. In 1906 Ballyduff defeated Clonea in Dungarvan in the Senior Hurling Championship. The winning margin was one point. Ballyduff was represented by M. Nolan (Capt.) P. Haughton, C. Murphy, T. Norris, T. Cuddihy, J. Aulsberry, P. Cudddihy, M. Butler, M. Veale, J. Power, S. White, Ed. Dalton, M. Foley, A. Gough, A. Madders, P. Sullivan, M. Madders, John Power, J. Butler, Ned Dalton and Ned Millea (whose great- grandsons are current players with the club ).

Camogie began in Ballyduff in 1937.